PROFILEM&A advisor and corporate finance expert.
THE GUY YOU WANT ON YOUR SIDE OF THE TABLE.
David has had several business careers: from scientist at an environmental engineering firm to corporate lawyer, to founder and portfolio manager of a $100 million investment fund, to corporate advisor, angel investor and board member for public and private companies, and now independent investment banker for small cap industrial and technology companies. During his career he has helped build multiple technology companies, contributing to the growth of BC’s vibrant technology community.
Named as one of BC’s top 25 “New Elite” innovators in technology, David is a popular speaker and lecturer at business events and post-secondary institutions. He’s the co-author of “Everything I Wanted to Learn About Business I Learned from a Canadian,” a bestselling business book that’s on the required reading lists of several business programs.
He has co-founded several companies, been on the board of over 25 companies (often as the chairman or executive board member) and has led the successful sale of many of them. Known for his tough, no-nonsense approach and hands-on style, he is currently taking on a limited number of investment banking engagements for small cap technology and industrial companies based in British Columbia.
- ActiveState acquired by Sophos PLC (UK)
- Parasun Technologies acquired by Uniserve (TSXV:USS)
- Rainbow Connections acquired by The Score Media Group (TSX:SCR)
- TSC Software acquired by SRB Education Solutions
- RFind Systems acquired by Trapeze-Constellation Software Group (TSX:CSU)
- Wolf Medical Systems acquired by Telus (TSX:T)
- Flickr acquired by Yahoo (NASDAQ:YHOO)
- Amorfix Life Science – reverse takeover and public listing TSX:AMF
- Sophiris Bio – qualifying transaction and public listing (TSX:SHS)
- Q/Media – $100M debt/equity financing provided by Citibank and Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan Fund
Advice or guidance provided for:
- More than 50 mergers and acquisitions transactions
- More than 100 debt and equity financings
- Numerous corporate partnering, joint venture and other commercial transactions
- Dozens of initial public offerings, reverse takeovers and qualifying transactions
Co-founder, Fund Manager, Chief Operating Officer and Chief Compliance Officer of Lions Capital Corp/BC Advantage Funds, between 2002 and 2011. Lions Capital was an investment banking and fund management firm which managed two venture capital funds, BC Advantage Funds (VCC) Ltd. and Lions Liquidity Investment Fund I LP, which invested in early stage life science and technology companies. Lions Capital also provided investment banking services to small to mid-market technology and industrial companies. In 2006, BC Advantage Funds had the highest performing exit of any venture capital fund in Canada and was awarded Canadian Venture Capital Deal of the Year.
- Managed a portfolio of IT and cleantech investments
- Co-led fundraising, helped raise close to $100M
- Chief Operating Officer responsible for all day to day operations
- Chief Compliance Officer responsible for overseeing compliance
Graduated from Osgoode Hall Law School in 1985, called to the Bar of British Columbia in 1986. Practiced continuously until retiring in 2005. Practice areas included:
- corporate structuring and reorganization
- local, national and cross-border public and private financings
- mergers and acquisitions and corporate partnering transactions
- all aspects of corporate governance including takeover bids, proxy disputes, special committee matters and structuring and operating boards
Clients included public and private equity firms, public and private companies, and individual and institutional investors.
SAMPLE LEGAL ENGAGEMENTS:
- Counsel to Q-Media Corp, $100M acquisition of a business division from Quebecor Media, and equity and venture debt financing provided by Ontario Teachers’ Pension Fund and Citibank
- Counsel to numerous BC-based technology start-ups including Avigilon (TSX:AVO), Layer 7 Technologies, Verrus Wireless, acquired by Paypoint (LON:GB:PAY), Westport Innovations (NASDAQ:WRPT), Wolf Medical, acquired by Telus (TSX:T)
- Counsel to Flickr on sale to Yahoo (NASDAQ:YHOO)
Served as a director or advisory board member of more than 20 private and public technology, industrial and resource companies. Often approached to serve as chairman or as an executive director. Have chaired Audit, Compensation, Corporate Governance, Finance and Special Committees.
- Three terms as a director of the BC Technology Industries Association, first as Chairman of the Capital & Investment Committee and then as Chairman of the Advocacy Committee
- Served as advisor to the B.C. Securities Commission and TSX Venture Exchange as a representative of the technology industry.
- Former Chairman of Science World’s Equity Committee, having architected its highly successful equity donation program.
BOARD ENGAGEMENTS INCLUDED:
- Chairman, ActiveState Corp on sale to Sophos PLC
- Executive Board member, Parasun Technologies on sale to Uniserve Corp (TSX:USS)
- Director, Goldrock Mines (TSX:GRM). Chair of Compensation Committee and member of Audit and Goverance Committees
- Director, Redlen Technologies. Chair of Corporate Finance Committee and member of Compensation Committee
- Founding Chairman, Rewardstream Inc.
PRINT & MEDIA
- Named as one of BC’s top 25 “New Elite” innovators in the technology industry by BC Business magazine, 2004
- Frequent speaker and guest lecturer on launching and growing technology companies at a number of colleges and universities, and at a variety of technology forums and industry events across Canada and in the US.
- Frequently appearing or providing commentary as a corporate finance expert in print, radio and television media, both locally and nationally
- Co-authored the bestselling book, “Everything I Needed to Know About Business, I Learned From a Canadian” (Wiley, 2005 and 2009)